The NHBC Buildmark
Your solicitor will give you a copy of the National House-Building Council (NHBC) Buildmark pack when you exchange contracts. Inside you’ll find details of the scheme, including the date on which it becomes effective (the NHBC Ten Year Notice).
The cover offered by the notice has two stages:
- An initial guarantee period which extends for two years from the date of the Ten Year Notice and provides for the putting right of any defect or damage to your home caused by faulty workmanship or materials.
- A structural guarantee period which extends for eight years from the end of the initial guarantee period to the expiry of the Ten Year Notice. This insures you against major damage due to a defect in the structure or damage to the drainage system caused by non-compliance with the NHBC’s technical requirements.
If you think you might need to make a claim under the Buildmark Scheme, please contact the NHBC direct.
Contact details can be found on the NHBC website.
The Taylor Wimpey Warranty
The Taylor Wimpey warranty lasts for two years from the date of legal completion. It covers items not included in the NHBC Buildmark scheme. We guarantee everything for that period supplied by us as part of your new home for all defects caused by faulty workmanship or materials.
Our warranties do not cover:
- problems with any workmanship, materials or appliances which were brought to the property by the owners or occupiers or have been added since legal completion
- damage caused by storms or by accident, negligence, abuse, or poor maintenance of the property or appliances, including blockages caused by inappropriate disposal of waste
- cosmetic defects to decoration, tiling, textured ceilings, kitchen units, fitted bedroom and bathroom furniture, worktops, sinks, sanitary ware, appliances, glass or other items which are not reported within seven days of legal completion
- any problems caused by natural shrinkage or condensation.
UPVC windows and doors
Double-glazed windows, door locks and window catches, handles and hinges are covered by the manufacturer’s guarantee.
If you have a problem with any of these, please contact your site manager or customer services department, and they will contact the supplier, who will then contact you direct.