We are looking for a knowledgeable and experienced Technical Director to lead and manage our Technical team.
The Technical Director is responsible for the co-ordination of architectural and engineering design within the Regional office. Their duties shall include the co-ordination and discharge of all necessary conditions attached to both the planning permissions and building regulation/warranty approvals for each scheme.
The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge and understanding of the construction process for a wide variety of buildings, from low-rise, standard housing product to mid-rise, complex apartment and mixed use schemes.
Also, will have the ability to manage consortium and specialist complex consortium development projects as well as overcome and plan for the unexpected issues encountered above and below ground prior to and during the development of our sites.
This is a chance for an accomplished professional with excellent communication and leadership skills as well as an extensive experience required in the design, construction and delivery of Civil Engineering Infrastructure, traffic and transportation.
- Responsible for the performance of the team in delivering technical design and approvals required for all projects within the Region. Must be commercially aware working with established budgets to provide a cost effective team performance.
- Ensure that all project meetings with other departments are arranged and managed in a timely and efficient manner, ensuring all relevant action points are noted and recorded (e.g. pre-distribution of information etc.).
- Ensure that all technical and planning staff are aware of the health and safety implications of every design decision.
- Communicate well with staff, Department Heads, external consultants and other bodies. Provide technical support to the Production Department during development of the sites. Provide technical support to the Land Department for scheme appraisals. Provide technical support to Sales in production of Brochures.
- Advise the Board of Directors on changes in technical matters and / or competitor’s product.
- Must be able to manage budgets, professional fees and staff costs.
- Must provide a cost effective service, carefully controlling expenditure and Regional overheads.
- Will be a member of the Regional Management team. To directly manage the Technical staff promoting a strong team spirit and ensuring the Department is a key player in the performance of the Region.
- Should effectively use resources, programme and prioritise work to ensure that delays do not occur through the life of the project from feasibility to site completion.
- Should have understanding of the corporate vision and strategic policies.
- The Technical & Planning Director must provide value engineered solutions to problems encountered and encourage innovation and constant development within his team.
- The demand of the Department will vary as corporate, national and regional policies change and the Director must have the vision to plan and manage for all future needs.
- Extensive experience required in the design, construction and delivery of Civil Engineering Infrastructure, traffic and transportation.
- Ability to critique development layouts from an urban design and engineering perspective
- Ability to critique architectural and engineering drawings
- Forensic investigation skills
- Ability to conduct feasibility studies, preparation of fee budget estimates and support land purchases
- Membership of relevant professional body
- Appropriate degree level qualification - BSc Engineering, Construction Management etc
- Post Graduate Degree Management
In order to be successful in this role you must be able to prove eligibility to work in the UK.
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales.
Our vision is to become the UK’s leading residential developer for creating value and delivering quality. We build over 10,000 homes each year, from one-bedroom apartments to six-bedroom houses all across the country.
Our people are passionate about the house building industry and about our customers. Culturally we pride ourselves in having a diverse work force with an opportunity to grow a career in a variety of environments. We look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in so if you are looking to join a thriving company going through an exciting period then please get in touch.
Internal applicants – please advise your Line Manager if applying for this role.
Please note interviews will be held on Wednesday 30th August 2017