The development

If you have an issue with one of our developments, check out our frequently asked questions below. If we can't answer your question here, please contact us.

There is a piece of land next to my property and I would like to buy it, how can I do this?

Please write into your local customer services department with a copy of a plan showing the area with a covering letter and we will pass this to the correct department.

A fence is broken on a boundary which I am told is owned by Taylor Wimpey, who should I contact?

Please send the details of the problem to the regional customer services team either by letter or email and we will look into this problem for you.

There is a problem with the roads/drains near my property and my local council have told me that this is still your responsibility, what can I do?

Whilst we appreciate that you may have lived in your property for sometime it can take several years for a development to be fully adopted.  Therefore please contact your local customer services team who will deal with your query.

I am not a customer of yours but I visited one of your sites and my car was damaged by debris on the road, who should I contact?

Please contact the local customer services team with evidence of the damage caused and any further information to support your claim that we have been negligent.