Buying a home is a huge step for anyone to take and for most people it’s the biggest investment they’ll ever make. With that in mind, we’re keen to help homeowners stay smart and keep their property safe and secure to deter opportunistic burglars.
Check out our advice on guarding your home against crime:
- Don’t forget to make sure windows and doors are secure even when you are at home. It only takes a second for someone to get into your home and take things without you noticing, especially if you’re upstairs in the shower or out in the garden.
- Keep all wallets, purses, credit cards, car keys and other valuables out of sight – and well away from the letterbox – to avoid temptation for would-be burglars.
- Garden tools can be used to help intruders break into your home, so keep them securely locked away and out of sight in a shed or a garage.
- If you’re going on holiday, ask a trusted neighbour to help keep your house safe by parking their car on your driveway, opening and closing the curtains each day, and picking up your post from the doormat.
- Before you go, don’t advertise the fact that you’re going on holiday on social networking sites – and wait until you’re back home to post photos of you away.