Learn about our plans for an exciting new community in Dereham
We have submitted a detailed planning application for a residential development of 62 homes on land to the west of Etling View. Our proposals include a mix of two-to-five-bedroom houses, including eight bungalows, plus public open space and play areas.
The site was identified for development in the Breckland Local Plan and we received formal consent for our outline planning application in September 2020, following the recent completion of the associated S106 Planning Agreement in mid-August 2020. The outline application established further principles and parameters for developing the land.
We have also now submitted a reserved matters planning application, which contains the development’s finer details, including a site layout, the style and appearance of all homes and further details relating to car parking, refuse collection and design of open spaces.
Our proposal for Land west of Etling View
- 62 homes, including 7 affordable properties
- A mix of 2, 3, 4 and 5-bedroom homes, including 8 bungalows
- Affordable housing will be a split of shared equity to purchase, and those available to rent from a housing association
- New vehicle and pedestrian access from the existing Etling View development to the east
- Proposed architecture will be inspired by Etling View homes, and local vernacular
- All new homes will meet the government’s Nationally Described Space Standards
- Car parking will mainly be on-plot or to the front of properties
- 1.82 hectares of open space will be provided, which is almost half of the overall site. It will enhance biodiversity and protect Shillings Lane to the north
- 2 natural play areas
- Retention of hedgerows and trees, complemented with new planting.
About the site
There is a field hedgerow bisecting part of the site and in addition, dense, mature landscaping to numerous boundaries containing native species such as English oak, hawthorn and ash.
Views to the north are generally screened by the existing vegetation where beyond lies an existing and well-used public right of way running parallel with the site boundary. Further existing footpath networks are located to the west.
Immediately to the south are existing residential properties at Briar Close, Windmill Avenue and Campion Road which have a predominance of bungalows and chalet bungalows.
To the east lies the former Taylor Wimpey residential development known as Etling View, which is separated from the application site by a further hedge line interspersed with mature trees.
To the west is a small wooded area and open fields and beyond is the eastern edge of the settlement of Dereham.
The application site is well contained by the existing constraints, in particular the existing landscape context that is largely due to be retained and enhanced where opportunities allow.
- 11.29% affordable housing
- A minimum of 1.82 hectares of open space created on site.
- We shall also fund its maintenance and future repairs
- We will contribute £19,600 towards the relocation of Toftwood Medical Centre, in Dereham
- We will carry out, or fund, drainage works in Shillings Lane
- We will contribute £88,040 towards local infant education and £100,378 towards local junior education
- We will pay £5,000 towards the protection and enhancement of Neatherd Common and £1,000 towards the promotion of public rights of way
- We will also contribute £4,650 to pay for new equipment and furniture at Dereham Library.