Proposals for the entire site
We intend to concentrate the non-residential uses and retirement housing in a central hub within the site. This is proposed for good design and sustainability reasons and will provide a ‘heart’ to the development. Bus services will serve the central hub providing good public transport links for the development as a whole but importantly for owners and occupiers of the retirement housing and for school children.
A new roundabout to the junction of Pendle Road and the A59 and other highway improvements will be provided. Significant financial contributions towards Primary and Secondary school provision and sports and recreational facilities will be delivered during the lifetime of the development. These are all secured under the existing legal agreement, known as a Section 106 Agreement, which forms part of the Outline Planning Permission.
A total of 1040 homes will be built, over approximately 12 years, 312 of which will be affordable homes. 156 of the total number of homes (1040) will be for elderly people (over 55 years of age) of which 78 will be affordable. The houses will range from two to five bedrooms and will provide much needed housing for the Clitheroe area.
The area now set aside for the proposed new Primary School is adjacent to the existing Ribblesdale School playing fields, within the central hub, and there are opportunities for new shared sports and recreational facilities in this area.
The majority of the retirement housing will be sited within the central hub and there will bus services that will link the development to the wider Clitheroe area.
The employment use, which has been granted as part of the Outline Planning Permission will be office type accommodation and we envisage this will be no more than two storeys in height. The detailed design for this part of the development will be subject to a separate further Reserved Matters Planning Application.
Significant areas of public realm, pedestrian routes and cycleways are proposed on the Phasing Plan. This will be sensitively designed with a rural feel to blend in with the existing natural topography and ecological features such as the existing trees and hedgerows. The line of the existing Roman Road will be respected and included within the detailed landscape proposals.
Full Site Plan for Higher Standen
To see a larger version, click here.
This image shows the proposed full site Masterplan, outlining key development areas, the distribution of open space and key access corridors through the site and it’s relation to the wider Clitheroe area.
Feature areas such as the green spaces, character areas and watercourses have set the framework to the full site Masterplan, their position being addressed early in the design process.
Proposals for Phase One
Taylor Wimpey have been granted Reserved Matters Planning permission to build 228 new homes which will consist of one, two, three and four bedrooms and will be a mix of apartments, mews, semi-detached, detached and bungalow properties. The range of properties will provide much needed new housing for the residents of Clitheroe. Our scheme for Phase One comprises of the following elements:
- Low density, high quality development with an open landscaped frontage to Pendle Road
- The provision of 68 dwellings on-site that will be designated as ‘affordable housing’ This means they will be social rented, affordable rented or intermediate housing, provided to eligible households whose needs are not met by the market
- Extensive landscaping across the scheme, with the protection of the majority of existing trees and hedgerows. Landscape buffers will be incorporated adjacent to sensitive boundaries. Ecological enhancements will be achieved through bird and bat boxes along with significant new tree/hedge planting for improved foraging
- Publicly accessible open green spaces and cycleways for use by both new and existing residents
- Sustainable drainage system with balancing ponds and swales to increase biodiversity
- Significant financial contributions for improvements to local infrastructure including a contribution towards education, sports and recreational facilities
Proposed phase one layout for Pendle Road, Clitheroe
To see a larger version click here.
Streetscene for Higher Standen