Why choose us
Learn more about our

Industry leading energy efficient Future Homes

Taylor Wimpey are testing a wide range of industry leading new technologies and solutions that should enable our customers to live in a more sustainable and energy efficient way, in line with the Government's Future Homes Standard.

Room thermometer

The Future Homes Standard

It is anticipated that, in 2025, the Government will make a major update to the standards for new build homes - the Future Homes Standard - designed to increase energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The ultimate goal is to help the UK reach its national net zero target.

In line with the Government’s Future Homes Standard proposals which were set out in 2020, new build homes will be ‘zero-carbon ready’ This means that they won’t use fossil fuels for heating or cooking and, once the UK’s electricity grid reaches zero carbon in 2035, in line with the Government’s projected target, they will produce zero carbon emissions.

Future homes

Trialling new technologies

Whilst our homes are already highly energy efficient, we’re working hard to prepare for the changes. We’re testing a wide range of new technologies and fabric solutions in five trial prototype homes at our Westland Heath development in Sudbury. These new technologies and solutions 

will provide significant insight into how to address major industry challenges to deliver zero carbon ready homes in line with the government proposed introduction of the Future Homes Standard in 2025.

Ultimately, the trial will help enable our customers to live in a more sustainable way, in homes that are heated more efficiently, with less impact on the environment.

Validated by customer research

The homes have been designed to be sold and lived in and we will collate customer feedback to measure the performance of the new technologies and ensure they are easy and efficient to use in everyday living. The results of our research along with the lessons learnt from the procurement and construction part of the trial will allow us to accurately assess performance through the full lifecycle of a development: from concept to customer experience.

The customers in our prototype homes will be asked to provide us with feedback on their experience living in the home, so that we can continue to monitor performance over a period of time.

Reaching net zero by 2045

The construction sector is a major contributor to the UK’s emissions of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide. The UK has a national, legally-binding target to reach net zero emissions by 2050, but we want to act more quickly.

We’ve committed to reaching net zero emissions across our business by 2045. This means that we’ll reduce total emissions by at least 90%. We’ll neutralise the remaining up to 10% by removing and storing carbon from the atmosphere.

Future homes by Taylor Wimpey